Makes: 4 servings - Prep time: 10 mins - Cooking time: 40 mins
- 1 x 400g tin black/red kidney beans
- 1 x 400g tin black eyed beans
- 1 zucchini, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup corn kernals
- 2 red capsicum, sliced in half
- 2 yellow capsicum, sliced in half
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp dried cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbls dried basil
- ½ cup low fat shredded cheese
- 4 cups rocket & spinach leaves
- 1avocado, sliced
What to do:
1Preheat oven to 180°C, place halved capsicums onto a lined tray and place in oven.
2Heat a frying pan to medium heat, add 2 tsp olive oil. Add garlic and spices and stir fry till soft.
3Add 2 tins of beans, zucchini, corn and tomatoes. Cook on medium to high heat until they are heated through and have split slightly.
4Remove capsicum halves from the oven.
5Spoon bean mixture into each capsicum half and sprinkle over grated cheese.
6Grill for a further 15 mins or until beans are crispy and cheese is melted.
7Serve with sliced avocado & salad leaves.
- IRON RICH: Beans naturally contain plant based protein as well as iron. Eating them mixed with vitamin C rich foods like the tomatoes and spinach in this dish boosts the absorption of the iron from the beans. Great for busy mums, active kids or people who are always on their feet.
- HIGH FIBRE: Mixing chopped vegetables through the bean mixture adds insoluble fibre to this meal. Insoluble fibre provides your gut bacteria with lots of food for them to munch on and produce lots of healthy bacteria for you!
- CALCIUM: Adding the grated cheese on top of the bean mixture boosts the calcium content of this meal, added to even more so by the leafy greens.
- LOW GI CARBS: Replacing taco shells with capsicums and using beans mixed with corn turns this meal into a slow burner. Meaning the carbs will be digested and released slowly in the body giving you long lasting energy and curbing sweet cravings.
- FAMILY FRIENDLY - REHEATS WELL - LUNCH BOX FRIENDLY!